Return to News

Construction Nights – Who Is Interested ???

Home Forums News Construction Nights – Who Is Interested ???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

If there is sufficient interest I’d like to arrange a couple of nights in the new year where members can build a ham radio related kit.

I’ve looked at two possible options;

The Acorn software defined receiver (SDR) from Kanga kits  at £23.95 delivered and

a digital SWR/RF- Power meter from Radio-Kits.co.uk at £38 delivered.

We could save a few quid on the postage if we order them all at once.  The links are below;

I’ve built them both and they are not difficult.  The digital SWR/Watt meter is a bit more complex and requires a steady hand with the soldering iron so would probably not be a beginners kit.

Bob has agreed that the club’s equipment and tools can be used so you wont need anything except the cash and a bit of enthsiasm.

I’ll try to upload a few pictures of the kits I built here as well.  Fingers crossed !!!!  the pictures got there but the order is a nit mixed up.  the two pics with the display are the SWR/Wattmeter and the others are the SDR receiver.

Please reply to this thread if you are interested and if we have sufficient interest I’ll get things moving.

cheers

Cephas

MMØINS

http://www.radio-kits.co.uk/

http://www.kanga-products.co.uk/

Bob GM4UYZ

Count me in… SDR radio for me

Nial MM0KPZ

I’d be keen on the SDR kit and can bring my own iron and tools if amount of kit is a limiting factor.

Although having looked into it I don’t know if I can wait until February, it looks like a good Christmas project!

Nial

The obvious solution Nial is build the SDR over the Christmas holidays and go for the SWR/Wattmeter in the new year !!!!

That way you’d be well placed to help those constructing the SDR on the club nights aswell.

Cheers

Cephas

MMØINS

Robin MM0VTV

I am interested. I enjoyed the construction nights we used to run way back in 2010.

I still have to decide what to do.

Put me down for the SDR kit and I’ll maybe have a look at the SWR kit later.

Robin MM0VTV

Bob GM4UYZ

I have been preparing our 2013 Events Calendar and I have booked two Friday nights in February.

Please note the Start time as it is 18:30 …

I hope many of you will take up the construction night it should be fun… Add your commitment here so Cephas can get kits organised.     Thanks

Friday

15th February 2013

18:30 – 21:30

Friday

22nd February 2013

18:30 – 21:30

Cambell MM0DXC

Looks the biz and I would have been in but not on a Friday night I’m afraid.

Nial MM0KPZ

> The obvious solution Nial is build the SDR over the Christmas holidays and

> go for the SWR/Wattmeter in the new year !!!!

That might be a plan. I also have a Rock Mite kit I bought some time ago which needs built.

Nial.

Tom Gm4LRU

Put me down for an SDR kit as well please.

Tom GM4LRU

Ok – so far it looks like we have;

Bob GM4UYZ

Robin MMØVTV

Niall MMØKPZ

Tom GM4LRU

Bob P GM4IKT

Me MMØINS

I have three (Maplin brand)  adjustable lamps with a built in magnifying glass if anyone is worried about their eyesight not being up to scratch.  I have to use max strength reading glasses and I managed to see what I was doing using one of them just fine.  I will be bringing them along in any case.  (Bob IKT has already booked one)

Anyone else up for it??  Bob says the club has plenty of equipment so we could easily manage a few more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am that blind old fart

Gary MM0FZV

I’m willing to give the SDR kit a bash Cephas. Count me in. Gaz

And then there were 7.

Thats enought to justify the room hire etc. but still leaves plenty of room for more.

I think we could manage 10 – 12 easily.

So far we have;

Bob GM4UYZ

Robin MMØVTV

Niall MMØKPZ

Tom GM4LRU

Bob P GM4IKT

Me MMØINS

Gary MMØFZV

Cheers,

Cephas

Right guys – we still have seven although some otehr shave mentioned to me that they are interested.

I will be ordering the kits (All Softwarev Defined Receivers) early next week.  It’s now time to come up with the cash.  I can collect at club night tonight or over the weekend.

If you want to pay by Paypal get in touch and I’ll tell you the email address to use.

Cheers,

Cephas

OK – the kits are all odered.  They should be with me early next week.

I’ll have a quick check over them to ensure there are no obvious missing parts.

As this thread is getting a bit long I’ll start a new thread on this topic.

Cephas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.