Return to Contest

CQWW SSB 2014

Home Forums Contest CQWW SSB 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Cambell MM0DXC

Building / Dismantling
    GM4IKT
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    MM0YCJ (build only)
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    48 Hour Operating
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    Visiting operators
    MM0GPZ
    MM0MLD
    GM4IKT

Cambell MM0DXC

That’s great Geoff, could I put you down to tow a tower from my place please ?

Geoff MM5AHO

Yes, of course. Fri am then.

Cambell MM0DXC

Come on troops, get your names down for this, not long to go now and I’d really like to get a construction plan in place.

Brian M0RNR

I’m beginning to wonder why Bob tries so hard to run courses to train new amateurs, if no one is going to operate. At this rate we might as well close the contest team to invited members only. It would make drawing up the rota easier, and we would know where we stand in terms of resource commitment.

Just a thought? But it’s disappointing when it’s close to home(for most of you) that the apathy we see in other club events flows into arguably the biggest radio weekend of the year.

M0RNR

John MM0CCC

15m 4ele Yagi repaired today. Also did a bit of contact cleaning as some joints havent been done since the antenna was originally built about 10 years ago. Just need to swap over 1 section of the boom and it’s ready to go (ran out of daylight).

John

Cambell MM0DXC

Great news John,

Just need to get your tower looked at. I’m free in the morning of Sat 11th or for a while, in the afternoon of Sat 18th. or other dates by arrangement.

Thomas MM0THL
    Participant

Hi folks,

Due to serious ill health the last six months I haven’t been around at all and missed a number of events that I really genuinely wanted to attend. Regarding the point above about Bobs training, I am really sorry I haven’t been able to attend any events hosted by the Club. Bobs training is top drawer and I really appreciate the work that he puts in. I do want to participate more in club activities to show my appreciation to Bob but because of my illness which has also limited my traveling – I wasn’t able to drive for over a month and with the distance I am from the club I just couldn’t get anywhere.

However – back to the main subject. I would love to come down if I were welcome, and provided work allow it for me to take they day off I would like to come down on the Friday and assist with the setup. I wouldn’t be able to stay the full weekend though.

Brian M0RNR

Thomas,

this was in no way aimed at any individual in particular so please don’t feel like you have to explain yourself. I fully understand there so some who, for whatever reason cannot make it, however it is just a little disappointing that so many come through the doors yet so few appear at an event. It really isn’t such a scary prospect and there are many of us there to assist newcomers and sit with them for a bit of moral support.

As I said in my previous note, any time you can give is much appreciated as it gives those of us who are here all weekend a bit of downtime, believe it or not, as much as we love it. It starts to hurt your ears after a while.

cheers

Brian
    M0RNR

Cambell MM0DXC

Thomas,

You’re more than welcome. We plan to be on site from 1st light which is between 7:30 and 8am.

Cambell MM0DXC

Building / Dismantling
    GM4IKT
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    MM0YCJ (build only)
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    MM0THL (Build only)
    48 Hour Operating
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    Visiting operators
    MM0GPZ
    MM0MLD
    GM4IKT

Thomas MM0THL
    Participant

Brian – no it’s ok I knew it wasn’t aimed at one individual and know the frustration of people getting the ticket then vanishing. I would have liked to get to other events this year but it just wasn’t to be!

Cambell – thanks, i’ll know more nearer the time and will keep you updated.

Cambell MM0DXC

Building / Dismantling
    GM4IKT
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    MM0YCJ (build only)
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    MM0THL (Build only)
    48 Hour Operating
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    Visiting operators
    MM0MLD
    GM4IKT

Geoff MM5AHO

Echo Brian’s comments above.

Some travel a long way to participate, and one of the strong reasons I’m part of this, is the aspect of encouraging “newbies” to the hobby.

Its a fact that those who exclude inexperienced people can do better in contests, but that does nothing for training the skills of the future.
    Some of our members are getting older, and can do less. That’s natural, but who will pick up the baton?

I find that the learning in contesting cannot be matched – and it doesn’t stop! After about 30 years in this hobby I learn something new every time, whether building the station, or operating. Even those who don’t really like contesting (5 & 9 thank-you ma’am), learn something, and can have fun.

So come on guys, join in.

Bob GM4UYZ

Geoff,
    During tall the levels of training we certainly stress what contesting has to offer. Not necessarily the taking part, which we all know is great fun, but what can be learnt from the experience – Propagation, operating skills, building and dismantling a station whether it is a small one or a large one and I am sure there are more but brain not up to speed yet.
    We always say that contesting is a love/hate relationship you either love them or hate them but the skills that can be learnt as mentioned above you will not find any where else.
    I like as mentioned before wish more would take part in club events and I feel it is like flogging a dead horse at times. Always trying to encourage people to take part in our events but as the saying goes “you can take a horse to water but you can’t make it drink”. Gets very, very , very disheartening when a lot of effort is put in in the background and you get nothing in return… ah such is life.
    Moan over as on a bit of a downer with it all at the moment………through the lack of support and apathy that reigns…. never mind I won’t give up

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.