Return to Contest

CQWW SSB 2014

Home Forums Contest CQWW SSB 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Cambell MM0DXC

My tuppence.

Its true that Bob and I do talk about contesting a lot in the classes to emphasise points throughout the licence structure training. We also make it abundantly clear that everybody is welcome at our events.

Some people over the years have taken us up on these invites, people like Gary, Cephas, Robin, Paul, Keith, Adrian, Stevie and Gareth to name a few.

I would love to see new people at all our events every year and everybody knows that but, (and its a big but) The purpose of the licence training is to produce licenced Amateur Radio enthusiasts and not club members. If people want to attend our club and events then that is great but I guarantee that joining CPSARC is not the reason that they enrolled in classes. They just want a licence.

Now, back on topic……………CQWW

Thomas MM0THL
    Participant

That’s work confirmed time off, see you all on the Friday morning.

Cambell MM0DXC

Great news Thomas,

Weather can be extreme and the lighthouse. My advice would be to bring warm clothes, waterproofs and a change of clothes just incase you get wet (very possible).

I know you’re travelling a huge distance but if you could estimate your time of arrival and let me know, it will help me plan out the build of the station.

After lots of trying to juggle things to try to get the Monday and the Friday off I confirm that I will only be available from Friday night until Sunday night.

Happy to do anything at all at any time during that period.

Cheers,

Cephas
    MM0INS

Cambell MM0DXC

Building / Dismantling
    GM4IKT
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    MM0YCJ (build only)
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    MM0THL (Build only)
    48 Hour Operating
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    MM0INS
    Visiting operators
    MM0GPZ
    MM0MLD
    GM4IKT

John MM0CCC

Cambell, I plan to collect my tower tomorrow a.m. As early as possible. Provided I have time free, I’ll remove the top 2 sections as iirc, this was tested previously and the 2nd bottom section lifts up fine.

Cambell MM0DXC

Ok John but I have stuff arranged for tomorrow now. I dunno if IKT may be around to lend a hand ??

I’d take the top section out and see how that effects it but certainly since the top 2 sections were installed, it become difficult to winch.

John MM0CCC

Not sure yet when I’ll be free to work on it anyway so will just do so when I can.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Will be free from about 1pm if needed. Text me if any use

John MM0CCC

Bob/Cambell, I had a quick look yesterday afternoon.

Since the shack frame was added, you can now only slightly angle the tower downward so it’s definitely a 2-man job to get the sections safely out, with at least 1 on step ladders (depending on height).

I think we’ll just need to play this by ear. Will probably have some spare time next weekend, or even an hour or so weeknights (usually about 5.30 till dark), provided I know in advance.

John

John MM0CCC

Latest from me:

1. Cambell visiting Sat at 2pm, we will work on (hopefully) freeing off tower sections so the tower raises as it’s supposed to.
    2. Has anyone got a portable gas heater they could bring? I’m thinking back to 2012 when we were all huddled around a small 2KW heater which didnt really do much. I’ll bring a Halogen heater if that helps.
    3. Cambell, assume you have spare guy ropes than can go on my tower (attached to cage)?
    4. Cambell, cant remember if you have a stub to go under the 15m tower rotator? I remember cutting 2 poles for this but cant remember if you have one.

73 de John

Anonymous
    Inactive

I will be up 2pm Saturday as well

Cambell MM0DXC

I plan to leave here at approximately 07:30 am to be on site for 8am.

Rough plan for construction

Shack UYZ
    10m IKT (DXC/VPR)
    15m CCC THL
    20m AHO YCJ
    40m DXC VPR
    80m AHO RNR
    160m DXC THL/RNR

The idea is for Geoff and Colwyn to work on their 20m tower.

Paul and I will build 40m as Bob IKT starts on 10m. Either Paul or I will help Bob when required as we’ll be working near each other.

John and Thomas will work on 15m on the pipe mast planned to be approx 50 feet

By the time these are in the air, RNR should have arrived and its only fair to send him up the lighthouse to tie off 80m while Geoff attaches the other end to the flag pole.
    Whilst Brian is up there, he can attach the pulley and rope for 160m while I tie off the bottom of the antenna, anyone free can help run the radial mat.

Each team will be responsible for running their own coax and rotator cable, checking with me first for which cable goes with each rotator.

If more people arrive to help then that is great meaning we can get the whole thing constructed quickly allowing daylight time for any adjustments or repairs that may be needed.

I have it on good authority that there is a large camp of “travelling people” very close by so it is imperative that we have everything that is not in use locked away and that we do not leave any doors to buildings open whilst unattended.

If more people sign up, this may all change.

I’m looking forward to it, lets see if we can set a new Scottish record like we did last year…….

Cambell MM0DXC

Building / Dismantling
    GM4IKT
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    MM0YCJ (build only)
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    MM0THL (Build only)
    MM0GZA (Dismantle only)
    MM0XAB

48 Hour Operating
    GM4UYZ
    MM0VPR
    MM0CCC
    MM0DXC
    M0RNR
    MM5AHO
    MM0INS
    MM0XAB

Visiting operators
    MM0GZA
    MM0MLD
    GM4IKT
    MM0VTV

Stevie MM0GZA
    Participant

Right guys got here eventually Work is as usual very fluid and can commit to one day on ether built/takedown.The numbers looks short on the take down so happy on being involved in the this..(sorry guys)…
    Operating again I m hoping to get down for a few hours on Saturday evening after work and same again on sunday if I have to go to work. All being well I should get down earlier on Sunday all day or at least around teatime until we leave site.

Stevie
    MM0GZA

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.