Return to Web Site

Forum / website development

Home Forums Web Site Forum / website development

This topic contains 21 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Colin GM0CLN 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

John MM0JXI
    Participant

this is a second topic

Cambell MM0DXC

You’ve been working hard John,

I like the instant reply screen and the latest post part on the 1st page. The niggle now is that if you click on one, it does take you there but you cant see it because of all of the stuff at the top of the page, you have to scroll down. Here’s a pictorial suggestion.

I’ll edit this with the pic later, Photobucket seems to be broken at the moment.

This forum software seems much much better though.

John MM0JXI
    Participant

The latest post widget will have to go somewhere else on the page (in the footer maybe?) , the current placement is fine on the front page but doesn’t need to be there while viewing the forum itself.

The trouble is that how it’s done is global across the site, I’ll look into custom page layouts etc

I’ll need to look into how to do that

John MM0JXI
    Participant

OK sorted, the latest posts widget only appears on the front page now

Bob GM4UYZ

John,

Suggestion could the Club Banner and Logo be made say half the size as this would allow stuff to move up the screen and be more visible.

Cambell MM0DXC

Here’s the pic and a few suggestions, Photobucket is now working.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q116/mm0dxc/website.jpg[/IMG]

I’m guessing the photo display thing needs to be switched on

John MM0JXI
    Participant

Bob – Resizing the banner is not quite so easy.
    I’ll see what can be done.

Cambell – I thought I had enabled the media embedding but maybe there’s more to do

Cambell MM0DXC

Cool but initially, this forum software seems much better

John MM0JXI
    Participant

John MM0JXI
    Participant

ok, to embed a photo, just drop the url right on the page, no need for [IMG] tags

bbPress is the name of the forum system, if we adopt this, I’ll change it to ‘Forum’ but at the moment it’s to differentiate from the original forum system (Simple:Press), the menu bar will return to one level once I remove the unwanted item.

To remove content from the widget, I’d need to learn how to write one, shouldn’t be too difficult but time is the issue.

Altering the header also needs a bit of programming skill I don’t have at present, some of the other bits are optional, I’ll see what I can do. I don’t know if anyone uses the search bar

John MM0JXI
    Participant

Progress:

with a bit of poking about I get it down to this, there’s work needed to redo the banner to fit the smaller size.

I’ve taken out all the search bars and the admin bar, if anyone wants the search box, I can probably add it to the side bar

Cambell MM0DXC

Getting there, John.

Thank you so much for your hard work. Its nearly there mate.

John MM0JXI
    Participant

it’s surprising how flexible the whole system is once you start delving into the inner workings.

Unfortunately I’ve no way of importing the old forum contents into the new one so we’ll have to start from fresh.

Are you happy with the topic replies going from old to new (like now), or do you want newer posts at the top?

Bob GM4UYZ

John,

If you change the name to Forum for the new one that you have added can the original one be called something different but put a link in so that if anyone wants to see the “old forum” stuff it still can be accessed but via the link.

Topic replies I am easy either way. If old to new it forces you in a way to read the thread whereas new to old could have a tendency to skip posts…. but as I say I am easy either way.

Tool bar I sometimes use it to go straight to the newsletters section but that is the only thing. No issue with being removed plus agree with all your comments about the other toolbars and headers as well.

You are doing a great job John…thanks

John MM0JXI
    Participant

I’ve added a link to the newsletters page in the admin widget for ease of use.

The old forums are still accessible via the recent posts widget in the sidebar, I intend to lock them for new content soon and I’ll work out how to make a menu link to them for reference (the sidebar widget will be removed at that point)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.