Return to Contest

VHF Field Day

Home Forums Contest VHF Field Day

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    John MM0CCC

It’s that time of year again folks.

Firstly, heads up of who is coming to VHF FD?

Please bear in mind there’s no Luton Van shack this year so we will probably need to hire one instead so this will need to be divvied up amongst us.

As usual I’ve left it a bit late in the day for any suggestions of what equipment we might want to add to our collection, however if you can think of anything please say so.

John

Geoff MM5AHO

John didn’t mention the date – Its Sat, Sun 6th and 7th July 2013.

I’m in.
    I can tow something. (The generator is currently at my place, but I need to get it moved elsewhere)
    I’ll get a supply of red diesel in time. Probably have access to the best priced diesel??

I can pretend to cook! .. and can bring various stuff for that. including food supplies.

I have a 6m masthead preamp and control box/sequencer. Home made and not actually tried out yet – would someone like to try it out (thats “try out” not “burn out” !).

I could bring that big tent again, despite its disadvantages, not the least of which is that much wond and its useless. But maybe someone has something better?

If we have to hire a van, what about something a little bigger? But I don’t know about cost? I’m guessing that from any of the major rental outfits a Friday to Monday rental for a Luton might be £150-200? But there must be cheaper. We’re not used to having a 62 plate van! I don’t think Barlocco is the place for a tent for operating. Any gale and the contest is over. A van has springs!

Brian M0RNR

Sorry John its too close to IOTA now with having the nipper so I won’t be able to make it I’m afraid

Brian
    RNR

John MM0CCC

Tnx for replies so far.

Geoff, 6m is more or less your show anyway (apart from antenna/coax) so if you think you can implement the pre-amp with sequencing/hard switching (or even a separate RX feedline) then you have my blessing to go ahead with this. The FT2000 with 2 ops on each RX didnt really get going last year so probably as well to revert to your IC756proIII.

Happy to use the big tent again, although careful checking of WX forecast will be needed, unless anyone else can supply something more heavy duty?

As for van hire, the big rental companies are now £80 plus per day for a Luton Van. The place we often use in Haddington is just under £60/day. I could ask for a 12′ Luton (mine was 10′) or we could maybe look at something even bigger, though I’m not sure what/where.

I’ll try and get to the Thorntree some Tuesday to discuss what the plans are. Is Tue 14 May OK with folks?

We also need to revisit the situation with the 2m Yagis. It’s 3 years now since we last used all 8. I really dont have the room to store them, even with a new garage, it’s already chockers with poles and other antenna parts. There was (more or less) consensus we should buy them from Colin but were we to do so, this doesnt address the storage issue. Personally, I’d like to change to something even shorter boom length than the 7’s. 4x5ele is good gain and not much beam turning. If someone is prepared to store 2 of these, I’d keep the other 2, but storing 8×7 is too much.

Cambell MM0DXC

I haven’t decided if I want to go this year yet, if I do go, it will be in the usual, tech support / social capacity.

Bob GM4UYZ

I am going. Ok on hire of van and splitting the cost. Geoff if I get chance and get my garage cleared then maybe Benny could go there, it is getting time to do the clear out. John the aerials could maybe squeeze them in garage as well once clear out done. Will add to my list of things to do and contact one of past not class pupils who runs the scouts and said previous he could help with a tent that won’t blow away.

Cambell MM0DXC

The Generator is called Genevieve

John MM0CCC

FB re Yagis, Bob. Have txt’d Colin about the yagis. £200 for the 8.

Having re-thought the 2m yagi situation, I recall Cambell’s comment last year that the wider lobe yagis (like when we used 4×7 stacked instead of 8×7 stacked) might suffer more QRM from the windfarm and that proved to be the case, as Gordon’s 12ele had much less QRM.

This is probably a good case to go back to the 8×7, tower-permitting.

Gordon MM0GPZ has confirmed his attendance again this year and has also asked if Iain GM0OQV could join in. Given the lack of Aye’s so far I don’t see any probs with us having too many ops. Are all attending OK with this?

John MM0CCC

The 4 relays (2 for 2m, 2 for 70cm) and the pre-amp leads will also be thrown in as part of the deal. Apparently he has already donated the sequencers to the club.

Bob GM4UYZ

With regard Iain I have no issue at all with that.

Ok on the antennas best put some cash away then!!!! I assume we are purchasing as we do the Tiree stuff?

Regard attendees might be an idea a general email to those who have attended say in the last 5 years and see if they want to go. Just a thought.

Cambell MM0DXC

I’ll be attending in my usual capacity, construction / support. (not operating) I’ll tow a tower aswell.

Any further forward with a shack ?

Bob GM4UYZ

I have emailed scout Ian and he is going to get back to me once they have their new tents. So will keep you posted

Bob GM4UYZ

Just bringing this topic to the website front screen

Bob GM4UYZ

From submissions above….

GOING
    John MM0CCC
    Bob GM4UYZ
    Geoff MM5AHO
    Cambell MM0DXC
    Gordon MM0GPZ
    Iain GM0oQV

NOT GOING
    Brian M0RNR

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bob P not going

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.