Return to For Sale / Wanted

WANTED:Poles and mast hardware

Home Forums For Sale / Wanted WANTED:Poles and mast hardware

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Alan-MM0WXT

Looking at getting a proper antenna setup and need poles. Circa 1.5 – 1.75″ up to about 30 foot long total length? and a stub of 2″ about 90″ long? Would need it delivered. The idea is a tiltable mast in the garden on a 2″ base pole, something like this http://www.hamradio.me/installations/installing-a-vertical-antenna-base-with-no-concrete.html

Also U bolts and anything else anyone can donate cheaply to the cause 🙂

73’s

Alan

Cambell MM0DXC

Alan,

I’d say your best bet would be to contact a scaffolding company and see if they’re prepared to sell any of their older alluminium poles, these usually come in 20′ lengths.

On a slightly different route, a monoband vertical antenna can be built cheaply and easily by modifying a “Silver Rod” type CB antenna. I have done this with success on all bands from 40m to 10m (all different antennae) but the total cost was approximately £20 per antenna.

Hope this is of some help.

Cambell
    MM0DXC

hi alan i have for you 7 # 2″ 50mm army mast poles at 4 feet and 1 at 2 foot this is the bottom one if you like thay could be welded, but thay fit in to each other quite snug! so would make a good tilt over mast, thay are steel and very strong, i had the same thought but the planners in east lothian are sh**e but thats an other story!! if you would like them then i will deliver them to you just say the word, sorry for any speling mistakes in advance, regards MM0GTU…..

Alan-MM0WXT

Thanks guys. Cambell excellent advice. I was thinking multiband sandpiper but at 20 quid a band I reckon a silver rod moded to 20 and one for 40 will sort me out nicely.

The main reason for the tilt over is due to my location and I need some height to hang a G5RV off as well as a vertical.

Adrian. A very generous offer thank you, Will PM you.

Brian M0RNR

alternatively, a 10m fiberglass fishing pole with a wire dropped down the centre and fed with a 4:1 balun will tune from 40m downwards. You’ll need some radials burried in grass,the more the merrier. I’ve had great success with this type of set up, cable tied the antenna to a fence post and away you go!

Brian
    M0RNR

Alan-MM0WXT

Hi Adrian. It would appear the PM facility is no longer….

Let me know details and i will get in touch with you asap. My email is mm0wxt ‘at’ gmail.com

Brian. Excellent idea but it would last 2 minutes in this place. But a brilliant idea for when I am out and about.

Cheers

Alan

Brian M0RNR

you’d be surprised Alan they are surprisingly strong. I’ve had one permanently installed for about 4 years, just put the bottom section in a 6ft piece of 2″ waste pipe to strengthen the bottom section where its clamped to post. Plus cheap as chips on ebay about twenty quid so noting to lose

good luck

brian

M0RNR

Cambell MM0DXC

Alan,

Brians idea about a 10m roach pole is deffinately the way I’d go but chuck that balun txfmr away and load it against some radials and have it as a monobander on 40m and have a “DXC Rod” for 20m.

The reason I say that is that its easy to get an antenna to resonate on 20m as the Silver Rod needs to be modified and shortened. To modify one for 40m means extending it to 33 feet. and while its possible, its easier to go with the “RNR Fishy Pole” idea.

Remember these antennae are always ground mounted and fed against radials so easily lowered if required.

A G5RV will not be great if used in an inverted V configuration and supported in the middle with a metal pole due to interaction between the pole and the open wire feeder. Any interaction would need to be “tuned out” by adjusting the elements and this would give a false 50 Ohm load for the frequency in use and element length, which means it wont radiate properly (if at all)

Hope this is of some help.

Geoff MM5AHO

If you’d like an idea for an easily lowerable vertical, I can supply.
    I have all verticals. The biggest is 21m (about 68 ft?) high, and I can drop it myself in about 2 minutes.
    Its a modified Titanex mount. I think theirs is clumsy and that my modification makes lowering so easy. Only time I can find difficulty is in an easterly gale, but I’ve still got it down.

Verticals are in my opinion the high performance low footprint backyard friendly antenna.

Brian M0RNR

wouldn’t disagree with that my 40m vertical is by far the best 40m antenna I’ve had at my QTH.

Alan-MM0WXT

Hi Folks. Cheers for the advice. I am glad I asked.

I was worried about the interaction between the Ladder line and the pole. The trouble is the highest tree is about 20 foot so the option would be to get a long piece of plastic pole (or roach pole with top sections removed for vertical stability)and strap it further up the tree? I Like the sound of dedicated Antennas for each band, or at least 20 & 40 initially.

Radial wise I had better get cracking laying some down, I was thinking a minimum of 4 for each band but cost is a key factor in all! So with that in mind I was thinking of purchasing a very very long spool of Electric fence wire at about 1-2mm and burying that.

Looking forward to finally working some distant stations come summertime, or at least further than the Kelty repeater… 🙂

Thanks again folks for the advice.

73’s

Alan

Alan-MM0WXT

I should have said , or added question marks , that the above list is my idea of what to do RE:electric fence wire radials and insulated plastic pole.

cheers

alan

Geoff MM5AHO

Alan
    take care selecting radials wire.
    I have used various types, some successfully, some not so.
    Electric Fence wire: Comes in a variety of types, but one to avoid is the type that has polyproylene (or similar) with stainless wire interwoven. It’s actually quote high resiatance over a long distance. This isn’t too much issue for a fence energiser where thousands of volts are used.

Bell wire and similar thin insulated cables. Quite good, but quite subject to UV breakdown of the insulation. Where its stranded wire inside the rain gets in the cracks caused by UV and corrodes the copper. Single core much better. Where its underground, of course its quite good and safe, but eventually it must surface for connections, so sunlights gets to it there.

Enamelled motor winding wire. This is excellent. Its small enough to poke underground easily. I have this under my lawn. I use a spade, make a cut and push the wire in along the length of the cut / slice. Then stamp round the cut to close it. This puts the wire about 2-5cm below surface. You can often get reel ends of this in sizes like 1.0mm dia from motor rewinders at a good price. They buy it in big (10kg) reels, but want to do a winding in a whole length without joints, so the reelends go to copper scrap. Alternative source is old transformers. But of work unwinding them, but good wire inside.

Welding wire steel (MIG). This is copper coated steel. Forget it, it rusts in 1 year.

Welding wire – aluminium. Its OK, but easily broken and not easily joined. Does corrode, but slower than steel.

Insulation: not important. If the radials are buried, then a connection to earth isn’t bad, other than the corrosion it can produce.

Alan-MM0WXT

Hi Geoff, You have helped me a lot. Quit a few on the list were possibles before but no longer. I think , from your choices above and experience , enamelled wire is the way to go. I was (very) kindly given a reel of coated wire tonight so I can at least get a few radials buried soon for 40 & 20.

Cheers

Alan

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.